Assignment #1, Submission #1: Formal Letter

Dear Professor Brad,

Subject: Self-introduction

My name is Panneerselvam Praveen and I am a year 1 student doing civil engineering at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I am in your effective communication module for this trimester. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in 2019 with a diploma in electrical and electronic engineering. Initially, I applied for electrical power engineering at SIT as it is related to my previous course but I was not able to get into it. Therefore, I decided to try out a different course. My interest for civil engineering grew once I started learning about its contribution to our society.

One communication strength that I possess is my ability to have an open mind when having a conversation or an argument. What I mean by this is that, I am open to listening to the other person's point of view during a conversation rather than just trying to get my point across. This allows me to have more productive conversations and unbiased opinions. I hope that this trait of mine will stick with me throughout my journey in life.

However, one weakness in communication I have is that sometimes, I would not be able to find the right words or phrases to get my message across when I am conversing with a group of people. I often find myself repeating my lines when presenting to a group. This tends to give people an impression that I am not confident in my stand. I hope that with the help of this module, I would be able to overcome my weakness in that area.

In this module, I hope that I would be able to learn how to link my chain of thoughts and use the right words to express it for my audience to comprehend. Besides that, I also hope to work on my confidence when giving a presentation to a large group of people. I feel that my lack of confidence may be a reason for my inability to link up my chain of thoughts. Therefore, these are the areas that I am hoping to improve on in this module.

One thing that sets me apart from others is that I like to take on challenges which allows me to think from different perspectives. I feel that it allows me to understand others better in some way. I hope I can use this to understand my peers in this module and even outside of school. I look forward to your classes in this trimester. Cheers!

Regards,

Praveen


Last edited: 05/02/22

Comments

  1. Dear Praveen,

    Thank you for your introduction, I was able to know you much better after reading it. There were clear illustrations to your points and interesting content to the letter.

    However I feel there are some points that could be improved on to make your letter better.
    - The subject heading should be below the salutation
    - In the 2nd paragraph, instead of "trait of me" it should have been "trait of mine"
    - In the 3rd paragraph, "the" can be excluded in the sentence "this tend to give the people an impression"
    - In the 2nd last paragraph, instead of "there are the areas" it should be "these are the areas"

    Overall, it was still a concise letter which i really enjoyed reading and knowing about you from.
    I look forward to working with you in time to come.

    Best Regards,
    Rynus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rynus,

      Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction letter. I have edited my letter according to your feedback. I hope to work with you too in this trimester!

      Regards,
      Praveen

      Delete
  2. Out of all of the letters I've read so far, yours appears to have both breadth and depth as you go slightly below the surface to explain your points.
    In the 3rd paragraph, "tend" should be tends in the sentence "this tend to give the people an impression"
    In the 4th paragraph the last sentence feels rather unnecessary to me.
    Overall I have been inspired by some things you have written and would probably incorporate it in my future drafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ariffin,

      Thank you for your kind feedback. I have corrected my letter based on the suggestions you have given me. As for the last line of the 4th paragraph, I have decided to keep it as I want the reader to know that my weakness is something I am also trying to improve on rather than it being just a statement. Other than this, I really value your other feedbacks. Thank you!

      Regards,
      Praveen

      Delete
  3. Great job tackling all pointers mentioned in the instructional unit. The letter was easy to read and flowed real fluently. I like how you provided some elaboration to every points. However, do take note that in the last sentence of your first paragraph, what does "engineering" refer to? Is it Civil Engineering? If so, you were talking about Electrical Engineering prior and it felt like the "engineering" was referring to Electrical and not Civil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gerryl,

      Thank you for reading my introduction letter I have specified the type of engineering as I felt I was not precise after reading your feedback. Thank you for your suggestions!

      Regards,
      Praveen

      Delete
  4. Dear praveen,

    Your letter is concise with a clear flow as you explain every detail step by step and it make it very enjoyable to read.

    - On the fourth paragraph. Last sentence, the word of choice should be “these are…” instead of there are

    Looking forward to work with you in class

    Regards,
    Tan Yao Shen (Alson)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alson,

      Thank you for reading my introduction letter. I have edited my letter according to your feedback. I look forward to working with you in class too!

      Regards,
      Praveen

      Delete
  5. Dear Praveen,

    Thank you for this clear, succinct and informative letter. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment brief as you detail your personal traits and your educational background as well as the rationale for your current study choice. It's good for us readers to learn about the comm skills challenges you have experienced and the goals you have. I'm happy to know that you embrace the need to view the world from 'different perspectives.'

    This letter is also quite fluent, with a fine flow of ideas, though there is one misuse of caps:
    -- Initially, I applied for Electrical Power Engineering at SIT .... > ?

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction letter. I really appreciate your valuable feedback. I have edited the letter accordingly. Thank you!

      Regards,
      Praveen

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Paraphrase of Communication Quote